When you begin the process of divorce, there are many considerations to take into account, from who gets the house to how to handle separating bank accounts and everything in between. When two parties cannot come to an agreement on their own, litigation may be necessary. As your divorce lawyer, the Law Offices of Karen D. Amos will help you navigate the process of separation and divorce.


Reaching out to a divorce lawyer is the first formal step of filing for divorce. When you are searching for a divorce attorney, you want to find someone who is confident and has extensive experience with divorce proceedings. Karen D. Amos has been practicing family law for over 30 years and will help you navigate the ups and downs of your case.

Our team will help you plan for eventualities and work with the other party to decide what each party can handle and whether a traditional in-court divorce, mediation, or collaborative process is right for your family.

Property Division

Property falls under two categories in the case of divorce: marital property and non-marital property. Any property, including bank accounts and retirement accounts, that was acquired during the marriage, exclusive of inheritance or gifts, is considered marital property and is subject to equitable division.

Non-marital property that was purchased or accumulated prior to the marriage is not subject to division. There are some cases where the property is a mix of the two. In this case, the valuation may be complicated to figure out and take longer to resolve.

Equitable property division is often one of the most contentious subjects of divorce and can cause discord between spouses. Your divorce lawyer will help you fight for what is rightfully yours and come to a fair compromise.


Either party can receive alimony in a divorce. If your economic standing is going to be severely damaged by the divorce or you have been a non-wage earner, alimony can help make up for losses sustained as a result of the divorce. There are two main different types of alimony:

  • Rehabilitative may be granted for a limited time frame to assist the dependent spouse in returning to the job market
  • Indefinite may be granted when even after the dependent spouse is self-supporting, there will be an unconscionable disparity in standards of living

Unlike child support, alimony is not specified by the state, which leaves the decision concerning amount and length of time primarily up to the courts. Whether you are seeking alimony or are trying to avoid paying a significant amount in alimony to your soon-to-be former spouse, your divorce lawyer can help.

Contact the Law Offices of Karen D. Amos

If you are considering filing for divorce and searching for a divorce lawyer in Howard, Carroll, Baltimore, Anne Arundel, Frederick, or Montgomery counties or Baltimore City, the Law Offices of Karen D. Amos can help. Our team will work closely with you to create the best possible outcome for your family and reduce stress during divorce proceedings.

For more information or to set up a consultation, give us a call at (240) 786-4934 or contact us online.